Israeli forces kill Palestinian during protests near Gaza border


Some 15,000 Palestinian rioters in the Gaza Strip took part in protests along the security fence with Israel on Friday.

Israeli forces responded with tear gas and live ammunition, according to Gaza's health ministry.

The Israeli Defence Force said 5,000 Palestinians had participated in a violent "riot", burning tyres, throwing rocks Israeli soldiers and launching flaming kites into Israeli territory.

Famed Rabbi Aryeh Spero said in a column on Thursday that President Donald Trump is fulfilling biblical prophecies by moving the US embassy to Israel's capital, Jerusalem from Tel Aviv after 70 years of Israeli statehood following the Holocaust of World War II.

The US decision to move the embassy and to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital raised concern in many capitals, and outrage in some, that Washington is pre-judging the result of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

A protest against Hamas on Friday, CBS News met the mother of an Israeli soldier who was killed in a war with Hamas four years ago.

Thousands came to protest along the security fence at the Gaza border today.

Later on Friday evening, dozens of demonstrators broke into the main commercial crossing point known as Kerem Shalom on the border between southern Gaza Strip and Israel, and damaged Israeli watching cameras placed outside the crossing point. The Palestinian who was killed had tried to cross the border fence into Israel.

The protests will culminate next week, on the 70th anniversary of the founding of the state of Israel.

18 others received bullet wounds in the protests, the ministry said.

After President Trump recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel in December, FOZ put up other banners blessing Trump.

The use of force by the Israel Defense Force, including live fire, has taken a severe toll on Palestinian journalists, Mansour said. Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were driven out or fled homes in what is now Israel.

The Israeli and Egyptian governments enacted the blockade in 2007 after Islamic militant organizations overran the region.