The Venezuelan government and the opposition had carried out a new round of talks in Santo Domingo after it was announced that presidential elections would be brought forward to April.
President of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, reaffirmed on Sunday that the government delegation is ready to sign the agreement of peace and coexistence with the opposition of that country.
Venezuela's fractured opposition coalition has not selected a candidate or decided if it will boycott the election.
"Given the decision of Venezuelan electoral authorities to call a snap election for April 22, which does not warrant a fair, free, transparent and democratic process, the Peruvian government has invited Lima Group member countries to meet this Tuesday, February 13, in the Peruvian capital, to evaluate measures to respond to the Venezuelan political situation", it said.
08 de febrero de 2018, 16:05Lima, Feb 8 (Prensa Latina) Former Prime Minister Pedro Cateriano criticized today a statement by President Pedro Pablo Kuczynski that could encourage hostile actions against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro in his visit to attend the Summit of the Americas.
Opposition leaders said the early date will benefit incumbent President Nicolás Maduro - who is the only candidate so far.
Opponents say the government is rigging the election in advance by barring Maduro's strongest rivals - opposition politicians Leopoldo Lopez and Henrique Capriles.
The date for the elections was announced hours after the failure of the negotiations held by representations of the Government and the opposition coalition in the Dominican Republic, with the facilitation of an global group made up of Mexico, Chile, Bolivia, Nicaragua and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines.
Two opposition leaders, Henry Ramos and Henri Falcon, have also announced presidential aspirations, but both are divisive figures: Ramos is seen as too old-school by many, while Falcon recently lost a re-election bid for governor of Lara state. The government, meanwhile, accused opposition leaders of taking orders from Washington to abort the talks. The views expressed therein are not necessarily those of stlucianewsonline.com, its sponsors or advertisers.