Mary Horomanski's electric gadgets were working fine but it was her electric bill that gave the Pennsylvanian a shock. The Erie resident added that her family wondered if something went wrong after they put their Christmas lights up on the house.
Horomanski's son contacted Penelac, her electric provider, who confirmed the error.
The stunned homeowner was, however, given the leeway to pay the massive amount on her electric bill by November 2018.
The Erie Times-News reports that Mary Horomanski said her eyes "just about popped out" of her head when she saw the amount. The company said she just had to make a minimum payment of $28,000 by the end of December. Penelec corrected the mistake and readjusted her balance due to the correct amount: $284.46.
According to Mark Durbin, a spokesman for Penelec's parent company, First Energy, is unsure how such an occurrence, could have happened.
As for Horomanski, she just got an idea for a new Christmas present from her son - a new heart monitor.
"I can't recall ever seeing a bill for billions of dollars", he said. "I opened it up and there it was", she told the Washington Post. Somehow, a decimal place in the customer's normal bill total took a bit of a holiday vacation and traveled several decimal places to the right, turning a $284.46 total into something much, much higher.