Explosive Device Detonated Near Times Square in "Attempted Terrorist Attack"


The suspect in the incident at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, a block from Times Square, was identified as Akayed Ullah, the New York Police Department commissioner said.

A man wearing a homemade device attempted to detonate it, and it either malfunctioned or did not go off the way it was supposed to, according to one NYPD source.

Despite it being rush-hour at the time of the explosion, only three people suffered minor injuries. Ullah was taken into custody and was moved to Bellevue Hospital with non-life-threatening wounds and burns.

"Let's be also clear that this was an attempted terrorist attack", New York City mayor Bill de Blasio said.

Asked whether the suspect has connection with the Islamic State, O'Neil said, "he did make a statement but we are not going to talk about that right now".

The New York Police Department said in its official Twitter feed that there was an explosion of unknown origin and that some subway train lines were being evacuated. The explosion, which happened around 7:30 a.m.in a passageway under 42nd Street between 7th and 8th avenues, triggered a massive emergency response by the NYPD and FDNY both above and below ground, tangling subway and bus service.

- Cuomo said it was an amateur, "effectively low-tech device".

Marlyn Yu Sherlock was at a retail store on the main floor of the terminal when people began flooding out of the subway entrance, "screaming, running in panic", she said. "It was scary. It was just a lot of chaos but I didn't see any injuries".

"The PA system was still blaring Christmas carols", Sherlock said. Ferdous said Ullah last travelled to Bangladesh's capital Dhaka - where he was born and raised - in September, but police had no information on why he was there. "They said 'suspicious package'".

On Oct. 31, eight people were killed and a dozen more injured after a truck plowed into pedestrians near the World Trade Center.

Immediately after the incident, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders tweeted that President Donald Trump had been briefed on the explosion.

The incident was the second in the fourth quarter of the year that New York City saw one individual conducted terror attack in the busiest areas of Manhattan.