US Air Force: Iran provided capability for missile attacks from Yemen

Share

While Iran denies allegations it provides weapons to the rebels, Macron said the missile was "obviously" Iranian, echoing USA claims.

Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Abdullah al-Mouallimi, told Asharq Al-Awsat on Thursday that a committee tasked with following up on UN decisions was now investigating the Iranian ballistic missiles in the framework of updating violations against UN Resolutions, adding that the Saudi side awaits the results of the probe.

Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said the missile program was defensive and unrelated to the 2015 nuclear deal that the country signed with the six world leaders, according to a statement published on ministry's website.

The French head of state has made efforts to preserve the deal, telling Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, last month, that France remained committed to the deal while stressing the need for dialogue.

"The very tough positions expressed by Saudi Arabia regarding Iran do not conform to what I think [about Tehran]", Le Monde on Friday quoted Macron as having said during a press conference in Dubai on Thursday.

The deal between Tehran and six world powers including France, Russia, the US, China, Germany, and the United Kingdom involves the removal of sanctions in exchange for Iran curbing its nuclear program.

Iran has repeatedly told French officials that the agreement is "not renegotiable and Iran doesn't allow the other sides to annex other issues to it", Qassemi stated. The fate of the deal has fallen on the US Congress which has 60 days to reimpose nuclear sanctions.

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman accused Iran of committing a "direct military aggression" after the rebels launched the missile at the airport in Riyadh. Tehran says it has no plans to build nuclear-capable missiles and the missile programme is for defence purposes.

Share