North Korea Is Threatening to Launch Missiles at Guam Again

Share

"If the U.S. imperialists and South Korean puppets ignite an aggressive nuclear war against us, it would only advance their own demise", the state-run Korea Central News Agency said in a Friday report.

Over the last two years, North Korea has conducted nuclear tests and launched missiles in response to joint drills, which have led to unprecedented UN Security Council Sanctions, including a new round adopted unanimously last month.

However many will suggest Trump is responsible for the rise in tension with North Korea, given the hawkish rhetoric he has adopted since taking over from Obama.

In return, the regime in Pyongyang has threatened missile strikes on USA foreign territory in Guam and warned its missles could reach and hit areas across the mainland United States.

North Korea has made similar threats against the United States for decades.

President Trump recently stated that his attitude on North Korea is "the one that matters" after being questioned about the conflict between his hardline view on North Korea and Secretary of States Rex Tillerson's more diplomatic solution. He added: "We're going to see what happens".

White House Chief of Staff John Kelly warned Thursday that Americans should worry about North Korea having the ability to reach the United States with an intercontinental ballistic missile. He said there was already "great concern" about Americans living in Guam. "Let's hope that diplomacy works".

Trump told reporters at the White House: "If it's going to be something other than negotiation, believe me we are ready more so than we have ever been".

Some analysts in South Korea say the deployment of USA supersonic bombers to the peninsula is making Kim think twice about provoking the United States.

Some quake experts have attributed the recent tremors to underground cave-ins caused by that powerful test.

"These are regular joint exercises to counteract any North Korean threat and improve the cooperation of our armed forces", South Korean Vice Admiral Jung Jin-seop, the country's naval operations commander, said in a statement released by the local Yonhap agency. Kuwait and Qatar have taken similar steps in recent weeks.

Share