'Moscow Mule' popularity is prompting warning from health officials


Bad news for Moscow mule fans: The trendy copper mug in which the drink is classically served could be toxic. It may look appealing and give you the satisfaction you need, but is it safe?

Copper mugs that are often used for cocktails could give you food poisoning, warns a USA state department.

Iowa's Alcoholic Beverages Division issued this warning, soon after the FDA released a Moral Food Code.

Maybe you are no longer using plates, bowls, or other cutlery made of copper, but there might still be a way you could get into contact with the material.

As for why Moscow Mules are served in copper cups, legend credits a successful marketing campaign for the Smirnoff Mule that depicted the drink served in the mugs as boosting the beverage to one of the most popular cocktails of the 1950s and '60s.

Moscow Mules, which contain vodka, lime juice, ginger beer, fall well below that critical pH, according to a bulletin by the under the federal Food and Drug Administration's Model Food Code.

Using copper mugs to serve beverages with a pH balance of below 6.0 could cause copper to leach into the drink, according to an article from the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

Not all copper mugs are potentially poisonous.

Part of the fun of ordering a fancy cocktail is seeing what kind of fancy presentation it comes in. It also makes fantastic Instagram fodder (as I'm sure you're well aware).

According to The Independent, copper mugs that are often used for cocktails could give you food poisoning, warns a U.S. state department.

Diarrhea, vomiting, and jaundice are all symptoms of possible poisoning.