Seven American troops were wounded Saturday in an insider attack by an Afghan soldier at a military base, as the U.S. appears set to boost its troop presence in the country.
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Monday that he would present options on Afghanistan to President Donald Trump "very soon".
There are now no USA or North Atlantic Treaty Organisation fatalities as a result of the shooting, which took place at approximately 2 p.m local time, according to a spokesperson for Operation Resolute Support.
One Afghan soldier was killed, he said. The NATO-led Resolute Support mission, focused on training, advising and assisting Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) and Afghan Security Institution (ASI) organization, was launched on January 1, 2015.
Abdul Qahar Araam, spokesman for the Afghan Army's 209th Corps, said earlier that the Americans were fatally shot.
Four foreign soldiers were also injured when the Afghan soldier opened fire on foreign troops in Mazar-i Sharif, an Afghan military spokesman told CNN.
Camp Shaheen is home to the Afghans 209th Corps and was the site of a complex Taliban attack in April that killed more than 130 Afghan soldiers.
About a week ago three members of U.S. troops were killed when an Afghan soldier opened fire.
More than US 2,000 troops have died from both combat and noncombat causes in the country since 2001.
At least one Afghan soldier was killed and another wounded, the official said. Dillon C. Baldridge, 22 of Youngsville, North Carolina - were killed June 10 when an Afghan soldier opened fire on them in Peka Valley, located in Nangarhar Province.
President Trump recently gave James Mattis, the secretary of defense, the authority to increase US troop levels in the country - and "right now, this new troop request is being worked by the commander in Afghanistan, the National Security Council under H.R. McMaster and senior leaders at the Pentagon", NPR's Tom Bowman told All Things Considered.
After more than 15 years of war the Taliban control broad swathes of the country and the struggling Afghan security forces continue to take an nearly unsustainable amount of causalities as they battle to hold provincial capitals.
The injured troops have been evacuated for treatment, the mission said in a statement.